Experiencing a badly chipped tooth can be a distressing situation, and our team at Sindledecker Dentistry wants to provide helpful information in case you ever encounter a chipped or broken tooth. Common causes of tooth breakage include biting down on something hard, sustaining a blow to the mouth, falling, or developing cavities that weaken the tooth. If you find yourself in such a situation, consider the following steps:
- Assess the Damage: Determine whether the tooth is partially chipped or completely broken. Unless there is significant pain or bleeding, it’s not an emergency. Contact our office to schedule an appointment, and we’ll try to accommodate you as soon as possible.
- Immediate Care: For minor chips or cracks, you can rinse your mouth and apply slight pressure to stop any bleeding. Contact our office to schedule an appointment, and we can evaluate and address the issue.
- Severe Damage: If your teeth exhibit serious damage such as a significant break, split tooth, split root, or a break due to decay, more extensive treatment may be necessary. Contact our office for emergency dental care.
- Tooth Falling Out: If a tooth has fallen out, hold it by the crown, rinse it under running water, and avoid letting it dry. Place it in salt water or milk until you reach our office. We will assess whether the tooth can be salvaged or requires replacement.
- Reduce Swelling: Use an ice pack to reduce swelling, but avoid taking aspirin as it may increase bleeding.
We understand the distress caused by a chipped or broken tooth. While most chipped teeth are primarily cosmetic concerns, dental emergencies can arise unexpectedly. Schedule an appointment at our Boca Raton office at the earliest sign of an emergency to receive prompt and appropriate care.