Many individuals harbor apprehensions about dental visits, often due to the perceived discomfort associated with traditional drilling methods. Fortunately, modern dentistry offers a drill-free alternative, ensuring a pleasant and stress-free experience while achieving a beautiful, healthy smile.
ERADICATING DECAY THROUGH SPRAY
Air abrasion emerges as a minimally invasive technique employed by dentists to safely and swiftly eliminate tooth decay. During air abrasion, an instrument resembling a miniature sandblaster releases a fine stream of particles directed at the decayed area of the tooth. These particles, composed of silica, aluminum oxide, or a baking soda mixture, delicately and efficiently remove small decayed particles from the tooth surface upon contact. Subsequently, the dentist eliminates these decayed particles through a straightforward rinse and suction process. Importantly, many air abrasion procedures do not necessitate anesthesia, providing a needle-free experience.
Dental air abrasion proves versatile in various treatments, serving as an alternative to the traditional dental drill in scenarios such as:
- Preparing a cavity for a filling
- Ready a tooth for bonding or sealants
- Removing old composite restorations
- Eliminating plaque and tooth decay
- Addressing superficial tooth stains and discolorations
BENEFITS OF AIR ABRASION
- Produces no heat, sound, pressure, or vibration
- Reduces the need for anesthesia, especially for shallow cavities
- Preserves a larger portion of healthy tooth tissue
- Diminishes the risk of micro-fracturing and chipping of the tooth
- Enables the dentist to address multiple sites in the mouth during a single visit
Dental air abrasion stands as a straightforward, expeditious, and effective alternative to the traditional drill, offering numerous advantages and alleviating the anxieties often associated with dental visits. Feel free to inquire during your next appointment to determine if air abrasion is a suitable option for you!